Greetings everyone and happy Friday!
Here we go:
1. The church is closing the old checking account that choir checks were written from last year. By OCTOBER ONE please gather up all checks not yet cashed and deposit them before the account is closed. I’m making this request not because we can’t reissue them, but it’s must me in the music office and the business staff is also small. This will help us keep the administration time of this to a minimum. I’m not going to publish it, but I do have a list of outstanding checks and if you can’t remember if you cashed everything, write or call and I can tell you what your looking for. If it’s lost, I’ll make a list and we can re issue them all at once to keep it stream lined. I’m really grateful in advance for your help to bring all this to closure.
2. THANK YOU CATHERINE MCCABE and the whole SPINDLER Family for your contribution of “snacks” for afternoon choir activities. There isn’t a sign up sheet, but if your in Costco or some such place and get inspired snack and juice donations are always welcome.
3. THIS COMING WEEK ALL Afternoon choir activities begin. On Tuesday and Friday afternoons please Drop Off and Pick Up are from the Honor Room entering from the School side. If you are coming from another school, enter on Fourth Avenue at Grace Church School and go to the honor room through the entrance by the Gym stairs. Please let your GCS third grade teacher know that your child is in choir and should be dismissed on the appropriate day for choir.
4. THIS SUNDAY: THE CHOIR OF MEN AND BOYS
5. NEXT SUNDAY: THE GIRLS’ CHOIR WITH ADULTS
Thank you for all you do! Have a wonderful weekend and ask lots of questions!
The Choir Family News!
Friday 16 September 2016
THANK YOU everyone who made the first Sunday back so much fun! Thank you all Choir Parent Helpers and everyone who brought food for the big reception. BRAVO CHOIRS!
THIS WEEK AHEAD: ALL PROGRAMS AT REGULAR SCHEDULE!
See below for details:
THIS SUNDAY, THE CHOIR OF MEN AND BOYS!
REQUIRED for ALL SENIOR BOYS
Optional for all Novice and Junior Boys
Senior Chorister Call is 9:45 a.m.
Junior Chorister Call is 10:15 a.m.
Novice Chorister Call is 10:30 a.m.
If your chorister has not been vested yet please bring them 10 minutes early so we have a little extra time to assign them a vestment.
FACE BOOK: Did you know there is a Music at Grace Church Facebook page?
There is. We use it to get the word out about all the musical offerings that take place at the Church especially those of the choirs!
HELP US build the community of followers and listeners to the choirs – FRIEND THE Music at Grace Church page and let the word spread
RECRUITING is never over!
We have an amazing group of novice choristers for the fall term but…
If anyone asks, it is never too late to join the choir and they should reach out to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For entering 4th graders it is also not too late to join as novices, we have had good luck at getting them up to speed quickly as your children are the best teachers. What schedule a
4th grader might follow would depend on the child and their family.
SIGN UP GENIUS: Melinda Weir has organized our sign up for helping with choristers activities through sign up genius. She does an amazing job at this, make sure you say Thank you! Sign up Genius has been very practical in making the sign to help as a choir parent helper easy and efficient. Here is the LINK:
User Name: helfenstein
CHOIR SCHEDULES 2016 – 2017: REMEMBER Kathy’s Link to our Goggle Doc Schedules, they are ready to go for 2016-2017:
HOMEWORK FOR SENIOR CHORISTERS:
Please locate a recording with your parents approval and listen to:
1. BOYS: Rejoice in the Lamb, B. Britten
2. GIRLS: A CEREMONY OF CAROLS, B. Britten
3. BOTH: Bernstein, Chichester Psalms
NEXT WEEKS SCHEDULE:
• September 18 (Sunday)–Sunday Service-The Choir of Men and Boys
1:00 – 3:00 REHEARSAL ALL SOPRANO SENIOR BOYS (6)
1:00 – 2:00 High School Singers Weekly Rehearsal begins, Music Room.
• September 20 (Tuesday) –Senior Boys, 7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
• September 20 (Tuesday) – Regular Afternoon Rehearsal Schedule Begins for Girl Novices 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. DROP OFF AND DISMISSAL FROM THE HONOR ROOM
• September 20 (Tuesday) – First Tuesday Rehearsal for Boy and Girl Junior Choristers 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. NO EVENSONG. DROP OFF AND DISMISSAL FROM THE HONOR ROOM
• September 21 (Wednesday) –Senior Girls, 7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
• September 21 (Wednesday) After School Vocal Coaching begins for 2015-2016. Sign up in advance for each session.
• September 22 (Thursday) –Senior and Junior Boy Choristers
7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
• September 22 (Thursday) After School Vocal Coaching. Sign up in advance for each session.
• September 23 (Friday) –Senior and Junior Girl Choristers 7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
September 23 (Friday) Choir Steering Committee Meeting 8:15 – 9:15 a.m.
• September 23 (Friday) – Regular Afternoon Rehearsal Schedule Begins for Boy Novices 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. DROP OFF AND DISMISSAL FROM THE HONOR ROOM.
• September 25 (Sunday) – Sunday Service-The Girls’ Choir and ATB
1:00 – 3:00 REHEARSAL ALL SENIOR GIRLS (6)
• October 2 (Sunday) – Sunday Service- The Choir of Men and Boys
1:00 – 3:00 REHEARSAL ALL SOPRANO SENIOR BOYS
With Adults for Britten Rejoice in the Lamb (6,6)
in the Church. Lunch in Music Room, reserve until 3:30 p.m.
• October 4 (Tuesday) – First Tuesday Evensong for Boy and Girl Junior Choristers.
SPECIAL LISTENING PROJECT:
Please find a time to watch and listen to these YouTube excerpts. They are from some of our fellow choirs around the world and are lovely and fun. They can help give us all a better idea of our tradition and celebrate the 1000 year old heritage that we participate in. I was in Wells this week and really, the church and choral tradition is just shy of it’s 1000th birthday! This year is the 120th birthday for our choir foundation.
King’s College Cambridge
Wells Cathedral Choir
St. John’s College Cambridge, A Guest in Cambridge
FIN – THE END
Please forgive the length of this newsletter. You all have lots of wonderful questions and this is my attempt to get us organized and put as much information as you have asked about in one place.
Have a wonderful safe remainder of the summer! The rain has stopped, the Swan has moved on to another boat and it’s time to head to the market for the shopping.
With all my love and anticipation of a great new season, Patrick
ONGOING INFORMATION SOURCES:
*Like us on FACEBOOK! Music at Grace Church in New York
*The Goggle Choir Schedule Calendar Link: http://gchoirsched.info/home.html
*Sign Up Genius for Choir Parent Volunteer Sign Link:
*Accessing the Secure Choir Family Area of the Music Website:
User Name: helfenstein
*REMEMBER: If your contact information changes or you notice a typo in a communication don’t hesitate to let PA (P. Allen, not the Parents Association) know. “If you see something, say something”
*REMEMBER…please keep an eye out around the house and make sure you cash all choir checks you have received. When the books are closed at the audit for each operating budget year checks can no longer be redeemed or replaced.