Greetings everyone, can you believe this is the end of September! WOW!
1. THE FIRST JUNIOR EVENSONG WILL TAKE PLACE ON TUESDAY 4 OCTOBER at 6:00 in the Church.
This lovely service lasts 30 minutes. Regular Choir Schedule and Dismissal. The service takes place during that time block.
IF YOU WANT YOUR CHORISTERS RELEASED DIRECTLY TO CHORISTER SITTING DUE TO PARENT NIGHT AT THE SCHOOL JUST SEND ME A NOTE TO DO SO.
2. NO HS SINGERS REHEARSAL SUNDAY – Ms. Pan has to be with Men and Boys in the Church this week.
3. NOVICE BOY FAMILIES – Should we have rehearsal Friday 7 October? Are you here? or are you leaving for the long weekend at dismissal? let me know what is best and I’ll confirm what we will do.
4. PLEASE NOTE TODAY IS THE FINAL DAY TO BE IN TOUCH ABOUT THIS: The church is closing the old checking account that choir checks were written from last year. By OCTOBER ONE please gather up all checks not yet cashed and deposit them before the account is closed. I’m making this request not because we can’t reissue them, but it’s must me in the music office and the business staff is also small. This will help us keep the administration time of this to a minimum. I’m not going to publish it, but I do have a list of outstanding checks and if you can’t remember if you cashed everything, write or call and I can tell you what your looking for. If it’s lost, I’ll make a list and we can re issue them all at once to keep it stream lined. I’m really grateful in advance for your help to bring all this to closure. IF YOU HAVE DISCOVERED EITHER AT HOME OR THROUGH ME THAT YOU NEED A REISSUE – PLEASE REMIND ME! I have kept a list but want to make sure I don’t loose anyone, this will help me double check before making the request at the end of the day.
5. THANK YOU CATHERINE MCCABE and the whole SPINDLER Family for your contribution of “snacks” for afternoon choir activities. There isn’t a sign up sheet, but if your in Costco or some such place and get inspired snack and juice donations are always welcome.
6. THIS SUNDAY: THE CHOIR OF MEN AND BOYS – The Senior Rehearsal on Sunday is the Dress Reh. for the Britten Evensong that takes place on October 16th.
7. NEXT SUNDAY: THE Choristers are off. Holiday Weekend. Due to the GCS Holiday, NO CHOIR ACTIVITIES ON TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY 11 and 12 October.
8. AFTER SCHOOL VOCAL COACHING – for some seniors Wednesday and Thursday don’t work, there will be several Saturday early afternoon sessions organized this fall for choristers who might be able to attend. If you are interested speak with Patrick.
9. THANKSGIVING AND THE PIE SALE IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER! Really! it gets here before you know it. The pumpkins are being harvested to make those pies, details of the sale to follow in the coming weeks.
Thank you for all you do! Have a wonderful weekend and ask lots of questions!
The Choir Family News!
Friday 30 September 2016
THIS WEEK AHEAD: ALL PROGRAMS AT REGULAR SCHEDULE!
See below for details:
THIS SUNDAY, THE CHOIR OF MEN AND BOYS!
REQUIRED for ALL SENIOR BOYS
Optional for all Novice and Junior Boys
Senior Chorister Call is 9:45 a.m.
Junior Chorister Call is 10:15 a.m.
Novice Chorister Call is 10:30 a.m.
If your chorister has not been vested yet please bring them 10 minutes early so we have a little extra time to assign them a vestment.
FACE BOOK: Did you know there is a Music at Grace Church Facebook page?
There is. We use it to get the word out about all the musical offerings that take place at the Church especially those of the choirs!
HELP US build the community of followers and listeners to the choirs – FRIEND THE Music at Grace Church page and let the word spread
RECRUITING is never over!
We have an amazing group of novice choristers for the fall term but…
If anyone asks, it is never too late to join the choir and they should reach out to me at: email@example.com.
For entering 4th graders it is also not too late to join as novices, we have had good luck at getting them up to speed quickly as your children are the best teachers. What schedule a
4th grader might follow would depend on the child and their family.
SIGN UP GENIUS: Melinda Weir has organized our sign up for helping with choristers activities through sign up genius. She does an amazing job at this, make sure you say Thank you! Sign up Genius has been very practical in making the sign to help as a choir parent helper easy and efficient. Here is the LINK:
User Name: helfenstein
CHOIR SCHEDULES 2016 – 2017: REMEMBER Kathy’s Link to our Goggle Doc Schedules, they are ready to go for 2016-2017:
HOMEWORK FOR SENIOR CHORISTERS:
Please locate a recording with your parents approval and listen to:
1. BOYS: Rejoice in the Lamb, B. Britten
2. GIRLS: A CEREMONY OF CAROLS, B. Britten
3. BOTH: Bernstein, Chichester Psalms
NEXT WEEKS SCHEDULE:
• October 2 (Sunday)–Sunday Service-The Choir of Men and Boys
1:00 – 3:00 REHEARSAL ALL SOPRANO SENIOR BOYS WITH ADULTS in the CHURCH
NO HS SINGER REHEARSAL THIS WEEK, MS. Pan needs to be with
the Men and Boys in the Church.
• October 4 (Tuesday) –Senior Boys, 7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
• October 4 (Tuesday) – Regular Afternoon Rehearsal for Girl Novices
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. DROP OFF AND DISMISSAL FROM THE HONOR ROOM
• October 4 (Tuesday) – Tuesday Rehearsal for Boy and Girl Junior Choristers 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. FIRST EVENSONG. DROP OFF AND DISMISSAL FROM THE HONOR ROOM
• October 5 (Wednesday) –Senior Girls, 7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
• October 5 (Wednesday) After School Vocal Coaching. Sign up in advance for each session.
• October 6 (Thursday) –Senior and Junior Boy Choristers
7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
• October 6 (Thursday) After School Vocal Coaching. Sign up in advance for each session.
• October 7 (Friday) –Senior and Junior Girl Choristers 7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
• October 7 (Friday) – Regular Afternoon Rehearsal Boy Novices 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. DROP OFF AND DISMISSAL FROM THE HONOR ROOM.
Holiday Weekend – Should we have rehearsal today or is everyone leaving town at dismissal? Let me know
• October 9 (Sunday) – Choristers on Holiday
SPECIAL LISTENING PROJECT:
Please find a time to watch and listen to these YouTube excerpts. They are from some of our fellow choirs around the world and are lovely and fun. They can help give us all a better idea of our tradition and celebrate the 1000 year old heritage that we participate in. I was in Wells this week and really, the church and choral tradition is just shy of it’s 1000th birthday! This year is the 120th birthday for our choir foundation.
King’s College Cambridge
Wells Cathedral Choir
St. John’s College Cambridge, A Guest in Cambridge
FIN – THE END
Please forgive the length of this newsletter. You all have lots of wonderful questions and this is my attempt to get us organized and put as much information as you have asked about in one place.
Have a wonderful safe remainder of the summer! The rain has stopped, the Swan has moved on to another boat and it’s time to head to the market for the shopping.
With all my love and anticipation of a great new season, Patrick
ONGOING INFORMATION SOURCES:
*Like us on FACEBOOK! Music at Grace Church in New York
*The Goggle Choir Schedule Calendar Link: http://gchoirsched.info/home.html
*Sign Up Genius for Choir Parent Volunteer Sign Link:
*Accessing the Secure Choir Family Area of the Music Website:
User Name: helfenstein
*REMEMBER: If your contact information changes or you notice a typo in a communication don’t hesitate to let PA (P. Allen, not the Parents Association) know. “If you see something, say something”
*REMEMBER…please keep an eye out around the house and make sure you cash all choir checks you have received. When the books are closed at the audit for each operating budget year checks can no longer be redeemed or replaced.